Enter your email address to receive a copy of our Estate Planning Handbook!
The Burton Law Firm began with a focus on estate planning. It is our compassion and understanding of the importance of leaving a lasting legacy that will always be at the core of our business.
For our family clients, Burton Law Firm initial consultations are conducted in the place they decide is most comfortable. We often meet with our clients in their homes around the kitchen table. Estate planning discussions involve intimate, personal, and sensitive matters that at times can be difficult to discuss. We find the best place to have these conversations is where they naturally occur – at your kitchen table.
You may find this hard to believe, but you have an estate! Estates aren’t exclusively reserved for the rich and famous with sprawling mansions and acres of intricate landscaping. An estate includes everything you own: your bank accounts, investments, home, furniture, life insurance, car, boat, etc.
Benefits of working with us to create a solid estate plan include:
- Control your property while you’re alive.
- Name a guardian and caregiver for your minor children.
- Provide for the transfer of your business at your retirement, disability, or death.
- Outline your requested instructions for your care if you become disabled.
- Provide for family members with special needs or circumstances.
- Minimize taxes, court costs, and unnecessary legal fees.
First time working with an attorney? No problem! Families who are developing an estate plan for the first time are The Burton Law Firm specialty. Here is a step-by-step rundown of our process:
- Tell Us About Yourself – We will sit down with you and learn about your life, your assets, your family, your friends, and your desires during a free consultation. It is important for us to learn what is important to you and develop a genuine relationship in order to best serve you.
- How Does Estate Planning Work? – Wills, Trusts, Powers of Attorney? We will explain the basic components and tools of an effective estate plan, their benefits, and how they work.
- Made to Order – After careful consideration of your circumstances, we will propose a tailor-made plan for you. Often times we will provide you with a proposal at the end of our consultation. If your plan requires some additional consideration, investigation, or research, we will follow up with your custom-developed proposal shortly afterward.
- Lawyers do the Lawyering – Once we develop and decide upon on a plan of action, we get to work. As we draft documents and compile materials, we will likely reach out with additional questions or requests for information. We will be available for questions and will maintain constant contact with you as we produce your plan.
- Signing Party! – Once the plan is completed, we like to throw what we affectionately refer to as a “signing party!” Finishing your estate plan is cause for celebration, after all. To formalize the process, we will meet with you again at the location of your choosing and coordinate the attendance of anyone else necessary to complete your estate plan (e.g. witnesses, notary, etc.). We will explain all of your documents in detail, answer any remaining questions, and ensure that you have a complete understanding of every piece of your new, personalized estate plan. Estate planning law is constantly changing, so we will also discuss the maintenance requirements associated with your plan to keep it current and up-to-date. After the business is finished, don’t be surprised if champagne makes an appearance!
We hope that the completion of your personalized estate plan is only the beginning of our continued relationship. The Burton Law Firm enjoys nothing more than having our clients turn to us when they need an experienced attorney, a reliable partner, and a trusted friend.
Please contact us to schedule a consultation. We look forward to hearing from you!